Thursday, January 30, 2014

Ready. Set. Even if You're Not Ready, GO!

I believe that all of us are a little nervous for the upcoming exam. I am trying to decide if this week was more of a comforting week or a stressful one. It was comforting in the sense that we had a lot of review and practice for the exam.  However, it was a stressful week because I saw that I still do not fully comprehend all the grammar rules.  English has never been my strong point; therefore, all the nit-picky rules are a big challenge for me. Although this class will be a huge challenge for me in the grammar aspect, I am excited because I know that it is something that will make a big difference throughout my life.

Something I learned this week that I have always struggled with is the difference between the words ‘lie’ and ‘lay.’ In our textbook, I learned that there really is a difference; before I always thought they were the same thing! We use the word ‘lie’ when we refer to reclining something or somebody, and the word ‘lay’ when we refer to setting down an object. Two examples would be: (1) I am tired, I think I will lie down. (2) Can you please lay my book on that table?


With steps like this, one-by-one, I will slowly master an understanding of English grammar.  

1 comment:

  1. Derek-

    These rules are rough. For me, the difficult arises from understanding the rule when it is explained to me, but not being able to apply it in practice (i.e. the test). Because I understand it in the book and during reviews, I get this false sense of security that leads me to feel more prepared than I am. Hope the test goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete