Thursday, January 23, 2014

First Presentation (Team Charter)

On Tuesday we presented our team charter. This was our first of many presentations we will do in this class. Of all the types of communication, presenting is one of my favorites. I love standing in front of a group of people to express and share my knowledge to others. One of the blessings that often goes unnoticed by members of the church is that in the church we develop great public speaking skills. We start to present ideas and talks when we are kids in the primary and will continue for our entire church career. Our presentation was really basic and went well. What I liked most were the evaluations that we did as a class afterwards. Professor Middleton introduced a method to evaluate our work that I really liked. By asking three simple questions we can do a solid evaluation: What went well, what should you stop doing, and what should you start doing? Throughout my college career I will continue to evaluate myself using these three questions.

Team Charter

One interesting thing that I learned this week is the difference between the words "whom" and "who." I have always had trouble knowing how to use these words correctly in a common text. The textbook explained this in a very clear manner that I will always remember when I have to decide which of the two words to use. 

Another interesting thing that I leaned is that using big, fancy words isn't always the best. We did a really fun exercise in class that made it pretty clear that short, to the point speech is more powerful. Professor Middleton taught us that we shouldn't talk in a way that people will understand, but rather talk in a way that people won't misunderstand. I feel that this is a simple tip that will affect the impression I leave in my work setting.

3 comments:

  1. That is definitely the best looking team charter ever right there. I'm with you when it comes to presenting. I really enjoy it, and I look forward to doing it a lot in this class. We truly were blessed to develop these skills starting in Primary. It's going to be an awesome semester in this class assuming there are no snow jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guy's had an awesome presentation keep up the good work. I also really liked the method that we used to evaluate ourselves and the other groups. I feel like we can really apply it to not only this class but to other things in life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^Agreed. You can tell you guys put a lot of thought behind your logo. I also love the sense of unity your team carries. And you're so right about the church. I'm grateful we were given the opportunity to start presenting at such a young age. Sometimes I wish presentations were still as simple as sharing some pictures with simple text on the back though ;)

    ReplyDelete